The vibrant and unyielding New York City is the biggest city in the United States. Known for its frantic pace and lively spirit, the city is the epicentre of world’s fashion, art, media, culture, research and finance scene. Boasting of one of the most famous skylines on earth, the city features some of the world’s finest restaurants, nightspots, theatre works and architectural masterpieces. Travellers are attracted to this wonderland because of its incredible glitter and vivacious lifestyle.
The Big Apple has so much to offer to travellers, be it spectacular beaches, inspiring architectural splendours, charming small towns and fabulous historical sightseeing. In fact, the options and alternatives available in the city can be overwhelming for some. New York City can be likened to a small universe that holds each and everything. Different races, different people, different cultures all blend together to create the dazzling colourful rainbow city known as the New York City.
New York is full of mesmerising tourist attractions that charm and fascinate travellers on their vacation. Few of the city’s popular tourist spots are:
- Empire State Building
- Statue of Liberty
- Grand Central Terminal
- Rockefeller Center
- Staten Island Ferry
- American Museum of Natural History
- Central Park
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York City offers some of the best shopping opportunities found anywhere in the world. The retail stores located in New York City add a significant appeal to the region’s tourism. Be it clothing, electronics, toys or furnishings, there is so much to experience in this city. Here is a look at some of incredible shopping destinations in New York City.
- Grand Central Station
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Strand Book Store
- Tiffany & Co.
- Virgin Megastore
- Barneys New York
There are plenty of dining options available round the clock in the city that never sleeps. Travellers can taste a sample of each and everything in New York City. From hot dogs and donuts and sushi to dim sum, there is a range of options for food lovers. Check out the list of city’s popular eating spots.
- Le Bernardin
- Bogota Latin Bistro
- Bukhara Grill
- Trailer Park Lounge
- Bombay Palace
- Angelo’s Coal Oven Pizza
- Patsy Grimaldi’s Pizzeria
New York City offers a number of options when it comes to hotels and accommodations. Finding a suitable place to stay in the city can indeed be the difference between seeing the city and actually experiencing it. Travellers on holidays can choose from a plethora of hostels, cheap hotels, luxury accommodations and boutique hotels.
- Broadway Hotel New York City
- Four Seasons New York
- Hilton Waldorf Towers
- 60 Thompson
- Embassy Suites New York
- San Carlos Hotel
- Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Find the latest airfares and discounted offers on flights to New York operating from UK.
- John F. Kennedy International Airport: John F. Kennedy International Airport (Code: JFK) is an international airport located in the south-eastern part of New York City. It is one of the busiest airports in the world with more than ninety airlines operating out of the airport, including budget and cheap flights. The airport handles more than 45,000,000 passengers each year. John F. Kennedy International Airport is the base of operations for JetBlue Airways along with being a major hub for Delta Air Lines and American Airlines.The international airport is linked to the city’s subway and commuter rail system by AirTrain JFK, which has stations at all terminals, hotel shuttle areas and car rental lots. Buses and taxis are also easily available to move to and from the airport.
- La Guardia Airport: LaGuardia Airport (Code: LGA) is an airport located in the Queens County, Long Island in New York City. The airport is used majorly for US domestic flights and serves approximately 25 million passengers each year.
- Newark Liberty International Airport: Newark Liberty International Airport (IATA: EWR) is an international airport that is located in New Jersey. However, the proximity of the airport with the New York City makes it popular among tourists visiting the city. Several visitors land up in New Jersey looking for air fares to New York.
There is an array of airlines that operate direct flights from UK to New York City. Major UK airlines like Virgin Atlantic and British Airways offer frequent flights to New York. American carriers such as American Airlines, Continental Airlines United Airlines additionally operate regular flights to JFK.
New York City is always hustling and bustling with activity and there is no real ‘best time’ to enjoy the city. The timing of one’s visit to the city depends completely upon his/her interests and plans.
Culture aficionados would like to visit NYC in fall and winter, when the performing arts and theatre scene is at its peak. While some cultural establishments offer free alfresco entertainment in summers.
Food lovers might find it easiest to grab the best tables at their choice of restaurant during the months of July and August when locals escape the city on weekends.
From early December to the New Year, New York City is truly a spectacle with festive celebrations that abound the city. However, hotel tariffs are highest during the season.
New York City’s transportation system incorporates one of the largest subway systems in the world as well as the world’s first mechanically ventilated vehicular tunnel. In addition, the city features an aerial tramway. Buses, ferries and private cars also form a major component of transportation in New York City.
City’s bus network includes more than 5,900 buses that serve over 2 million passengers each day on approximately 200 local routes.
Staten Island Ferry, the busiest ferry in the country, serves more than 19 million passengers annually.
Crime rate in New York City has declined over the years. However, there are certain neighbourhoods where one needs to be cautious and vigilant. It is advisable not to roam around alone at night in unfamiliar areas. Travellers are also recommended to keep their valuables somewhere safe. Additionally, it is not a bad idea to keep money inside your clothing rather than in a handbag.
Medical treatment in the US is quite expensive and travellers are advised to ensure that they have comprehensive medical insurance.
H1N1 is reportedly prevalent in various parts of the US and New York City is no exception. It is best to keep yourself updated through local media reports for developments and advice.
There have been occasional outbreaks of mosquito-born diseases like Dengue and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. One should always take precautions against mosquitoes.
Visitors to New York must be alert of the danger of rabies from racoons in Central Park and Morningside Park areas.
(Note: This destination guide is based on information gathered from reliable resources available on the internet and provides only general information about the destination. Southall Travel holds no responsibility for any misrepresentation of facts and will not be in any way liable for any kind of eventuality arising from the use of information given in this guide)