Las Vegas, the city that never sleeps, seems to be the perfect embodiment of the phrase, ‘wine, wealth, and women’. However, Las Vegas also makes for an excellent family holiday because plenty of travel agents sell family package deals to the destination. The mega voltage electrifying action of Vegas is best felt in ‘The Strip’ area lined with gleaming theme casinos and hotels. These theme casinos have taken their cue from every conceivable and inconceivable inspiration ranging right from Brooklyn Bridge to Eiffel Tower, Egyptian Pyramids, and even the Taj Mahal. Although, millions of dollars trade hands over the casino tables here, one does not need to be a degenerate gambler to drink in the pleasures of this city. Just pick up one of the cheap airline tickets to Las Vegas and discover its joys like millions have done before. No wonder, vacation packages to Las Vegas sell like hot cakes.
The playground of America spells unlimited entertainment and offers scores of natural as well as man-made attractions to ensure hours of hearty merry making. Las Vegas has come a long way from its image of an adult’s only destination. Today, visitors of every age and taste crave catching flights to Las Vegas to taste its wonders. Museums, theme parks, roller coasters, national parks, comedy shows, adult entertainment clubs – Las Vegas has all this and a lot more. Here is just a small sampling of the major tourist magnets of this city.
- Bellagio Casino Fountains
- Big Shot Ride at the Stratosphere
- Lion Habitat at MGM Grand
- Area 51
- The Auto Collections at Imperial Palace
- Gondola Rides at the Venetian
- M&M’s World Las Vegas
The overwhelming number of visitors to Las Vegas has turned it into a shopping haven. So much so that today shopping has become a major tourist draw in Sin City. Be it luxury shopping or hunting out bargain deals, Las Vegas is an absolute spoiler in terms of choice. Similarly, there is more than enough for those looking to take back exquisite but cheap souvenirs. Here are some of the hottest shopping precincts of Las Vegas.
- Town Square
- Las Vegas Outlet Center
- Grand Canal Shoppes
- Forum Shops
- ABC Store
- Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World
- Boca Park Fashion Village
Try eating out in Las Vegas and prepare to get bombarded by the problem of plenty. There is no end to the number of cafes, buffets, steakhouses and restaurants in the city. Top chefs grace most of the restaurants and dish out the very best in multi-ethnic culinary delights. Lest it suffice to say that one can’t help indulging to the point of sin in Sin City. The best part is that you can have your pick from the top of the line star rated restaurants to the highly pocket friendly food stalls. Although, it is unfair not to mention the numerous renowned names gracing the Las Vegas food circuit, for the sake of brevity we present here just a few of the most popular ones.
- Eiffel Tower Restaurant
- Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill
- Bartolotta Ristorante Di Mare
- Battista’s Hole in the Wall
- Billy Bob’s Steak House & Saloon
- In-N-Out Burger
- Bally’s Sterling Brunch
Although, Las Vegas conjures images of opulence and decadence, a visit to the city does not necessarily burn a hole in your pocket. There are quite a few cheap hotels here and those looking to bag the cheapest deals would do well to book rooms during the weekdays as prices go north during the weekends due to the high influx of visitors.
- Stratosphere Tower – Casino & Resort Hotel
- Circus Circus Hotel & Casino
- Sahara Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
- Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino
- Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
- Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino
- South Point Hotel, Casino, and Spa
Find the latest airfares and discounted offers on flights to Las Vegas operating from UK.
McCarran International Airport is the main airport of Las Vegas. It is the main gateway to Clark County and Las Vegas. The airport plays host to more than 20 airlines in the domains of domestic, regional, and international services. McCarran International Airport is located some 8 km south of the central business district of Las Vegas. Needless to say, there are plenty of direct flights as well as cheap flights from UK to Las Vegas. A word of advice here – if you have been late in planning your holiday, then get in touch with some renowned travel agency and you might just land some juicy last minute deal.
The best time to visit Las Vegas depends pretty much upon the kind of traveller you are. If you love crowds and gala celebrations then visiting during the New Year or other festive occasions is an excellent idea. However, if you want to avoid crowds and want to land cheap deals to the destinations then plan your travel during the summer months, especially July and August. Similarly January and February are also good times for picking up discounted airfares as there is a marked decline in business right after the holiday seasons of Christmas and New Year.
For moving around the Strip, walking is a good idea as most hotels are situated very close to each other. One can also hop on to the Las Vegas Monorail, which stops behind many of the hotels. Other options are to hire a taxi or private car. One has to be mindful of the fact that traffic can be quite slow in Las Vegas.
Las Vegas is a pretty safe area and one usually does not land in trouble here. However, here are some basic tips for your visit to the destination.
- The minimum legal age for gambling is 21. Similarly, many hotels only permit someone 21 or older to book a room as most of the hotels are casino resorts. So, visitors under 21 should research well in advance before making room reservations.
- Before booking a hotel, find out about the hotel’s facilities. Many of the facilities available for free in other cities, attract huge charges in Las Vegas
- Also find out whether your accommodation facility is a normal hotel without a casino or a casino resort. The latter are usually larger and quite often also charge a resort fee.
- Remember, prostitution is illegal in Las Vegas. Similarly drunk driving and carrying illicit drugs can result in arrest.
- Be careful on the streets. Despite the illegality of drunk driving, many people break the rule which results in a high number of road accidents.
- Owing to the glamour and money associated with the destination, Las Vegas does attract a share of unsavoury elements. So be on the lookout for pickpockets and thieves. Be extra watchful of your belongings when you are in some busy place like the airport or some hotel lobby.
- Deposit your valuables with the hotel safe when stepping out.
- Walking from the Strip to Fremont Street or the other way round is not a good idea as there are many isolated spots in between.
- Drink plenty of water as the Las Vegas air can leave one dehydrated.
- Always carry your identification papers.
(Note: This destination guide is based on information gathered from reliable resources available on the internet and provides only general information about the destination. Southall Travel holds no responsibility for any misrepresentation of facts and will not be in any way liable for any kind of eventuality arising from the use of information given in this guide)